Saturday, June 23, 2012

Crock Pot Pork Country-Style Ribs

Mmm, so meaty!

Sometimes you just need a super-simple dinner that is ready when you get home and is warm and fills you up. That said, I am not usually much of a dinner-maker. My husband and I have cereal (or oatmeal for me) several nights a week. We both get up early (4:30 and 5 am), so we try to go to bed by 8:30 or 9 pm. I usually get home from work around 5:30 pm, so that doesn't leave a lot of time for preparing and eating a meal before bedtime. So, we eat easy-to-fix things. I sometimes make a pasta casserole or homemade pizza ahead of time, and then we have leftovers for a few lunches. But generally, we go for fast and easy on the weeknights- which this recipe is! It cooks all day while I'm at work.



My coworker Lucinda (who says she'll be a "big fan" of this blog...haha) told me about this recipe first a while ago, and then I looked recently on food.com because I couldn't remember the fine details. I did modify the original recipe a bit (of course), and also added the additional step of simmering the ribs for 25 minutes first to remove a lot of the fat before slow cooking them (reviewers on food.com recommended this step on several similar recipes). You can find the original recipe here.

Crock Pot Country-Style Ribs
4-5 lbs. country-style pork ribs (bone-in)
1 (18 oz.) bottle of your favorite bbq sauce (Jeff and I like Jack Daniels Original!)

Step 1 (We did this the night before):

Fill a big (6-8 quart) pot half-way full with water. Add the ribs, making sure the water covers them completely, and place on the stove. Turn the burner on high until the water starts boiling, and then down to medium and simmer for about 15-20 minutes (no lid necessary). Remove from stove and drain some of the water. Use tongs to remove the ribs, avoiding fat on the surface if you can. Place ribs in crock pot, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
I've just been boiled!





















Step 2 (The next morning):

Remove crock from fridge and place in the base. Add the bottle of bbq sauce and mix well. Replace lid and set heat on low. Cook 6-8 hours or until done.

Enjoy! We obviously had leftovers with just the 2 of us, so we shredded the rest (removing the fat) and spooned the remaining sauce over the meat to use in pulled pork sandwiches! It is going to be delicious with our whole wheat sandwich thins!

Ready for eating!
For pulled pork sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment